Since its incorporation, the Town of Miami Lakes operates under a Council-Manager form of government. The Council-Manager system combines the strong leadership of elected officials with the strong managerial experience of an appointed Town Manager. The Mayor and Council are elected to represent the citizens of our community and to develop policy.
The Council Legislative duties include:
- Adopt or amend any administrative regulation or establish, alter or abolish any Town office, department, board or agency.
- Establish a rule or regulation; the violation of which carries a penalty.
- Levy taxes or appropriate funds.
- Grant, renew or extend a franchise.
- Set service or user charges for municipal services or grant administrative authority to set such charges.
- Authorize the borrowing of money.
- Convey or lease or authorize by administrative action the conveyance or lease of any lands of the Town.
- Mend or repeal any ordinance previously adopted.
- Adopt an Annual Budget.
Presently, the Mayor and six elected Councilmembers are: