The Town Charter grants the following powers and duties to the Mayor:
- Shall preside at meetings of the Council and be a voting member of the Council.
- Shall recommend the appointment of a Town Manager to the Council.
- Shall present the State of the Town and budgetary addresses annually
- May create and appoint subject to Council approval, committees of the Council which may include non-Councilmembers. The members of each committee shall select a chair.
- Shall be recognized as head of the Town government for all ceremonial purposes, for the purposes of military law, and for service of process.
- Shall be the official designated to represent the Town in all dealings with other governmental entities.
- Execute contracts, deeds and other documents on behalf of the Town as authorized by the Council.