To become a candidate, the following documents must be filed with the Town of Miami Lakes Town Clerk PRIOR to opening a campaign account, receiving contributions, or making any expenditures:
- Form DS-DE 9 “Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository”
- This form must be filed with the Town Clerk, prior to opening the campaign account. The original form must be hand-delivered to the Office of the Town Clerk.
- A candidate may be his/her own campaign treasurer or deputy treasurer but anyone designated to be a campaign treasurer or deputy treasurer must also be a registered voter of the State of Florida. Only the campaign treasurer or the deputy campaign treasurer may sign campaign expenditure checks.
- Open a campaign account at a bank authorized to do business in the State of Florida. This account must be separate from any personal or business accounts. The bank should provide you with deposit slips and checks indicating it is a campaign account.
- Form DS-DE 84 “Statement of Candidate”
- This form should be filed with the Town Clerk within ten (10) days of filing Form DS-DE 9.
Only AFTER filing the above forms with the Town Clerk, the candidate may then open a campaign account and begin to accept contributions and make expenditures.